There are three levels of adult (ages 15 and up) yoga classes at Pavonine Yoga:
- Level 1 (Beginner): If you’ve never taken a yoga class, or have only taken a handful of classes, this is your level. Beginner classes place a strong emphasis on learning the mechanics of each pose, and they move at a slower pace. Most poses and movements will be demonstrated by the instructor. Even if you are very athletic but have still never done yoga before, we still recommend that you take a Level 1 class.
- Level 2 (Intermediate): Intermediate classes assume a basic knowledge of many common postures, the vinyasa, and sun salutations. The instructor will be your guide and present new challenges, of course, but he or she also knows that you’ve done yoga before and don’t need to see every single pose demonstrated.
- Level 3 (Advanced): Expect a hot and difficult class. We believe that if you’re looking for a challenge, you should be able to find one regardless of your level of yoga practice. Level 3 classes assume a solid knowledge of a large number of asanas; a high level of physical strength is also expected. A variety of inversions are also common in Level 3.
Within these levels, we offer the following styles of yoga:
- Hot Vinyasa A dynamic, movement-based, heated practice, this class focuses on various yoga poses, transitions, and breathing. Basic inversions and arm balances may be offered and modifications will be made to make poses more or less challenging depending on the level of the class. Participants must be 15 years old. Suitable for all levels.
- Yin A static, grounding, unheated class focused on increased flexibility through stretching, holding poses for longer periods of time (up to several minutes), and breathing. Most poses are seated. Suitable for all levels.
- Restorative with Aromatherapy A static, grounding, unheated class focused on gentle poses, breathing, physical rehabilitation, and mental focus. Restorative yoga may use the assistance of props like blocks, bolsters, and blankets to support the body and obtain maximal restfulness. Essential oils are used by the instructor throughout the class to further calm the body and mind. Many poses are done lying down. Suitable for all levels.
- Power Vinyasa A rigorous, dynamic, movement-based, heated vinyasa class with a more or less set sequence, this is a great workout demanding strength and flexibility. Though challenging, this class is suitable for all levels but some prior knowledge of yoga poses and/or experience with heated yoga is desired.
- Prenatal An unheated class focused on breathing and specific yoga poses to aid women during and after their pregnancy. Poses are modified to protect the baby and adapt to a woman’s growing body. While suitable for all pregnant women, those particularly in their second and third trimesters may find this class the most relevant. Suitable for all levels. Keep an eye out for our next Prenatal Yoga Series!